Listen on: iTunes | Google Play | Spotify | Acast | Stitcher | Pocket Cast | Overcast | PodBean | Soundcloud | audioBoom
Devon and Sarah continue to cover the Charlottesville terrorist attack and discuss the reactions to Trump’s ridiculous press conference in which he does NOT denounce nazis. They also sit down with Matthew A. Cherry and talk about his upcoming short film, Hair Love and why representation matters in all forms of media.
Please take a moment to take our survey.
- Inside the C.E.O. Rebellion Against Trump’s Advisory Councils by David Gelles, Landon Thomas Jr., Andrew Ross Sorkin, and Kate Kelly (NYTimes)
- Donald Trump Needs To Not Be President Yesterday by Robert Tracinski (The Federalist)
- ‘Wow’: Stunned TV Hosts Reacted in Real Time to Trump by Michael M. Grynbaum (NYTimes)
- A Confederate Statue Is Gone, But the Fight Remains in Durham by Nash Jenkins (TIME)
- Baltimore hauls away four Confederate monuments after overnight removal by Fenit Nirappil (WaPo)
- Here are the Confederate memorials that will be removed after Charlottesville by Jessica Suerth (CNN)
- Here are all the Republican members of Congress who have called out the president by Rebekah Entralgo and Addy Baird (ThinkProgress)
- Don’t Look Now, But Alt-Right Demonstrations Are Scheduled for Nine Cities Next Weekend [Update: Now Cancelled] by Ed Kilgore (The Daily Intelligencer)
- Heather Heyer’s Mom Tells White Supremacists: ‘You Just Magnified Her’ by Ryan J. Reilly and Willa Frej (HuffPost)
- Follow @MatthewACherry2
Gratitude Check Links
- Advanced Praise for Hillary Clinton’s “What Happened” by Rebecca Caplan (The New Yorker)
- What if Western media covered Charlottesville the same way it covers other nations by Karen Attiah (WaPo)
- Oregon Becomes the First State to Make Abortion Accessible to All Women by Leila Ettachfini (Broadly/Vice)
- Anti-Trans ‘Bathroom Bill’ Dies In Texas by Jon Herskobitz (HuffPost)
- Freedom Fighter Bond Fund – Durham Solidarity Center
- Whose Heritage? Public Symbols of the Confederacy
- There Are Still More Than 700 Confederate Monuments In The U.S. by Kathryn Casteel (538)
- Every Republican must sign a censure of the president by Jennifer Rubin (WaPo)
- Lawmakers Just Introduced a Dream Act Bill. What Does It Mean for You? by Greisa Martinez,
United We Dream Advocacy Center (Medium)
— Indivisible Guide (@IndivisibleTeam) August 16, 2017
Hellion of the Week
- College Student Takiyah Thompson Arrested For Dismantling North Carolina Confederate Statue by Desire Thompson (Vibe)
Takiyah Thompson, 22, on pulling down a Confederate statue in Durham: "Anything that emboldens those people… needs to be crushed" pic.twitter.com/bu3EjMtOMv
— Democracy Now! (@democracynow) August 16, 2017
Right. Again, important to recognize that statues themselves represent systemic racism & laws created to protect them ARE systemic racism https://t.co/t7PPuwEtoP
— Bree Newsome (@BreeNewsome) August 16, 2017
— Hellbent Podcast (@hellbentpod) August 16, 2017
If 10 guys thinks it's ok to hang with 1 Nazi then they just became 11 Nazis. Alt right / white supremacist it's just nazis. Fuck Nazis.
— Chris Rock (@chrisrock) August 15, 2017
Trump misused the term "alt-left" to describe normal people who dislike Nazis. In the process, he severely delegitimized the term itself.
— Molly (@isteintraum) August 15, 2017
New Javanka spin! We tried but were on vacation so dad sided with the Nazis. pic.twitter.com/emLIh5Lxr4
— Tommy Vietor (@TVietor08) August 16, 2017
All these folks worried about erasing history when the Confederate statues come down will be thrilled to learn about the existence of books.
— Jamil Smith (@JamilSmith) August 16, 2017
NEW: Sources close to @JohnKasich tell me, after Charlottesville, there is growing sense of "moral imperative" to primary Trump in 2020.
— Willie Geist (@WillieGeist) August 16, 2017
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) August 16, 2017